Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First Stop on the Anniversary Tour !

Shelburne, Vermont was the first stop on our 30th honeymoon trip. It was a rainy day but we didn't let the weather dampen our spirits. We began our day at the Shelburne Museum which is not your typical museum. There are 37 historical buildings situated on 45 acres. We had a wonderful time investigating and exploring the exhibits. I think my favorite were the automatas, which are large, antique wind up toys. We felt like little kids as we ran from one building to the next, dodging raindrops and soaking up new information. Below is the round barn from the 1800's which was an amazing piece of architecture plus housed incredible exhibits.



All ABOARD !



A Working Carousel from the 1920's.



We toured through this restored steamboat.




I love this sign on the covered bridge.




My husband needed a time out in this slate jail from the 19th century.



Hollyhocks looked beautiful even in the rain.


Ah, Beautiful Rain.



We were finally ready to find the Inn at Shelburne Farms so we could wine and dine and enjoy each other's company. Our large, airy room overlooked Lake Champlain. We felt as if we had traveled back to a simpler time. Ahhhhh..... my words and picture can't do justice to the incredible food, the views and the gardens. The staff was welcoming and helpful. There is no A/C at the Inn but the breeze from the lake kept us very comfortable. I would strongly recommend a stay at the Inn. Ask for the White Room and tell them that Debbie sent you.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like you are having a dream trip. Thanks for including us.

I love going places and seeing new things.

Sandy said...

Happy Anniversary!

Willow said...

Congratulations on your 30 years! I'm enjoying sharing your tour.

Melissa said...

I just hope that deer head was not in your room! Is that the same museum that had the rug exhibit? If it is, and if I remember correctly, they also did not have heat in the winter...I love that town!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...